[LCA2011-Chat] [Linux-aus] Some Anti-Harassment Policies considered harmful

From: Rusty Russell <rusty>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 13:28:39 +1030

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 09:24:01 am David Woodhouse wrote:
> It's almost as if we're being accused of witchcraft, and any words we
> say in our own defence are being twisted and taken as further proof of
> our guilt.

Let's not go here, please.

I know at least one person was uncomfortable by the repeated display of
sexualized images while sitting in a room with 500 male geeks. We
explicitly and deliberately stated that this wouldn't happen.

There's a background of low-level sexual intimidation at these events;
in such a sensitized environment a zero-tolerance policy makes sense.
I hope one day it won't.

I found the Evil Ronald McDonald child-abuse image most disturbing. But I'm
not subjected to it for an entire week (or entire career), nor did it taint
the conference for me (and yes, it tainted the speaker's message).

Thanks,
Rusty.