[LCA2011-Chat] Some Anti-Harassment Policies considered harmful

From: Sam Vilain <sam>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 00:39:04 +1300

On 31/01/11 21:13, Russell Stuart wrote:
> Thirdly, from what I could tell Geek Feminism policy wasn't just about
> stopping harassment. It was also about forcing open source conferences
> to adopt the Geek Feminist view on what harassment is.

There is one thing I noticed at this LCA that I haven't noticed before.

The Unicorns were there, and they were there in force.

And I feel that has to be a good thing.

If adopting Geek Feminism guidelines is partially responsible for that,
then I think that's great. I've read a large chunk of the site and I
don't think any of it is unreasonable. It certainly made me think a
lot. And what is feminism but support for changes towards gender equality?

In any case I think the best forum for this will be with the Ballarat
organizers, in their discussion meetings and surely not this list. I
hope that they continue to adopt geek feminism guidelines next year.
Perhaps these could be clarified, though I'm not sure that if the rules
were more explicit that it would have prevented an "edgy" speaker like
this from breaking them.

Sam