Re: [LCA2011-Chat] Some Anti-Harassment Policies considered harmful

From: Tom Eastman <tom.eastman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 09:39:39 +1300

On 04/02/11 03:42, David Woodhouse wrote:
> Please don't try to apply that kind of label. It's a primitive form of
> Ad Hominem which doesn't really do much but cheapen the debate.

This debate could not get any cheaper, and I regret having been drawn in
to it to the extent that I have. The only good thing I can say about it
is that I can absolutely stand behind everything I've said.

Maybe Philip was being too polite, just as I was being too subtle.

I will not contribute further, because I feel the more I provoke you,
the more you say things that in the future you will regret having said.
In a public, searchable and permanently archived forum, no less.

There's only one thing left that I feel you *do* need to respond to, and
that was Jacinta's *heartfelt* plea for you to take a moment to
understand her perspective. A plea that you so casually ignored in order
to simply attack. In a manner which (with *no* ad hominem intended) I
found disgusting and reprehensible.

On 01/02/11 17:36, Jacinta Richardson wrote:
> If you're supportive of women in our community then please *listen* to the women
> in our community when we try to tell you that talks like Mark's make things
> worse. Please listen to us when we tell you that having an anti-harassment
> policy makes us more comfortable. Please listen to us when we raise concerns
> rather than telling us we should be concerned about some other problem.

Either on-list or offlist, you *owe* her a direct reply.

I will not respond to you again.