Re: [LCA2011-Chat] Some Anti-Harassment Policies considered harmful

From: Anthony Towns <aj_at_erisian.com.au>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 13:28:09 +1000

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 12:31, Theodore Tso <tytso_at_mit.edu> wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2011, at 6:41 PM, Jason White wrote:
> OK, let's do a thought experiment, shall we?   Suppose Alice and Bob have sex, and
> Bob is drunk.

Alice and Bob were probably just pretending to be drunk and amorous so
they could plan a bank heist over a covert channel; they're devious
like that.

Can we kindly cut out the in depth discussion of rape statistics now?
Given this is nominally a list for a technical conference it's not
especially on topic in the first place, and given a number of people
have already said these topics involve negative emotional triggers,
it's certainly not a good way of showing people they're a welcome part
of the community or making them feel comfortable.

(If people wish to make suggestions on wording for terms and
conditions for future LCAs or other LA events, I'm sure the LA council
and LCA2012 organising team will be happy to take feedback directly;
and I know I've seen the Geek Feminism folks soliciting feedback)

Cheers,
aj

--
Anthony Towns <aj_at_erisian.com.au>