[LCA2011-Chat] Some Anti-Harassment Policies considered harmful

From: Susanne Ruthven <susanne>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 00:45:18 +1300

Russell, we agree with you.

As the person who wrote the terms and conditions for LCA2010 [1] (which
LCA2011's terms and conditions [2] has copied), those T&Cs were
purposefully based on the anti-discrimination and anti-harrassment laws
in New Zealand for the very reason Russell gives.

We purposely kept the policy broad, refraining from providing a list
(exhaustive or otherwise) so as to make sure it was a mechanism we could
use for any 'true' situations of harrassment or discrimination. Not for
us to use to chastise someone for what some might consider inappropriate
slides.

When we were writing the terms and conditions for LCA2010, we considered
and chose not to adopt a proposed draft form of an anti-harrassment
policy similar to the LCA2011 one [3], because we thought what we had in
the terms and conditions already achieved the same goal, and if anything
was better because it was broader and empowered conference organisers
with a variety of methods with which to address a situation of 'true'
harrassment, or discrimination.

As organisers of LCA2010, Andrew and I have discussed this current
situation and think some of Mark's slides could be inappropriate and
considered bad taste, but they have certainly achieved their purpose of
making us all sit up and think, and more importantly, to question. In
our view, Mark's talk was not discriminatory or harrassment. It
obviously offended some people, but then he is entitled to shock,
horrify and offend under his right to freedom of expression (as long as
his actions aren't breaking any laws, like discrimination laws etc).

Under the same right, attendees are entitled to not receive the
information Mark is imparting. And they had the opportunity to do that.
He warned right at the beginning of his talk that the following slides
were rated PG13. Those who wished not to see those slides had the
opportunity to leave the room.

I cannot speculate as to what LCA2011 did, but for LCA2010 we *asked*
speakers to keep their slide deck G-rated. We did this over several
emails, and in an information page on our website. Repetitive
communication of what is expected of speakers is the best way to ensure
the talk they give during the week of LCA will be appropriate to the
audience. At best, Mark's talk was not what LCA2010 would have asked of
him and perhaps contained some slides that are inappropriate for the LCA
audience.

So what should LCA2012 do? Really that's up to the conference
organisers. Personally, I don't see why LCA needs to expand any further
than the Terms & Conditions. Those terms and conditions clearly state
that true harrassment, discrimination and the like will not be
tolerated.

As conference organisers, our role is to ensure our delegates are safe
from harrassment, intimidation, victimisation and discrimination. Not to
control what our speakers say and how they say it.

Cheers!

[1]
http://www.lca2010.org.nz/register/terms_and_conditions#Discrimination

[2]
http://lca2011.linux.org.au/register/terms_and_conditions#Discrimination

[3]
http://lca2011.linux.org.au/about/harassment

--
Susanne Ruthven
LCA2010 - Co-Director
                 | Me             | LCA2010
identi.ca        | MadHatter      | linuxconfau
Twitter          | Mad_Hatter__   | linuxconfau