[LCA2011-Chat] Some Anti-Harassment Policies considered harmful

From: Anthony Towns <aj>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 23:13:17 +1000

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 21:45, Susanne Ruthven <susanne at lca2010.org.nz> wrote:
> Russell, we agree with you.

(Personally, I disagree with Russell but agree with Susanne. Given the
above, I presume that doesn't make sense, but hey...)

> I cannot speculate as to what LCA2011 did, but for LCA2010 we *asked*
> speakers to keep their slide deck G-rated.

I'd prefer to see G-rated slides and talks at LCA, personally; I'm
plenty happy at being shocked out of my complacency by ideas like
"holy crap, Tridge's coffee roasting software can be repurposed for
reflow soldering", or "not only does Microsoft's Kinect have linux
drivers now, but it's actually interesting tech, is already being used
for interesting and practical things, and is maybe going to have cheap
chinese clones soon", rather than flesh tones and innuendo.

(For reference, I'm one of the bad examples on the Geek Feminism Wiki;
cf http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Debconf_ftp-masters_talk -- so
no, I don't prefer G ratings because I'm scared of reality; yes, my
opinion's changed over time; and yes, I think that change is an
improvement)

Cheers,
aj

--