Re: [LCA2011-Chat] Some Anti-Harassment Policies considered harmful

From: David Woodhouse <dwmw2_at_infradead.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 10:12:29 +0000

On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 22:45 +1300, Tom Eastman wrote:
> On 01/02/11 16:27, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > I am very supportive of women in our community, and would very much like
> > it to be a more welcoming environment.
>

> On 02/02/11 22:22, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > I now find myself wondering how how many of these 'reports of genuine
> > harassment' are actually cases where the perpetrator, if not in a police
> > cell, ought to be put in the stocks outside the rego desk and have
> > rotten fruit thrown at him — and how many of them are *much* less
> > clear-cut than that.
> >
> > For me, the OTT policy that LCA2011 adopted in replacement of LCA2010's
> > existing T&Cs, and the seemingly indiscriminate application of that
> > policy, have made me *much* less sympathetic to The Cause and much more
> > inclined to take any such claims with a *serious* pinch of salt.

strcmp("the cause", "The Cause");

In another conversation, the subtle hint imbued by the capitalisation
might have been more obvious. It might have been strcmp("christianity",
"The Church"), for example.

There is no inconsistency here. I do strongly believe that men in our
community, and at conferences in particular, can often be a bunch of
${WORDTHATPIADOESNTLIKE}s and we desperately need *not* to be.

I simultaneously believe that some of those involved in "The Cause" are
busy performing an ad hominem on themselves by citing dodgy statistics
and crying 'wolf' in situations which really stretch the credulity and
don't seem particularly germane to the *real* issues we have.

And yes, the more I see a fuss made over what I believe to be something
negligible, the less I am inclined to give credence to the reports I'd
heard earlier about *just* how bad we are, as a group.

--
dwmw2