[LCA2011-Chat] Some Anti-Harassment Policies considered harmful

From: Bede Mudge <bane02>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:00:15 +1000

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Anne <anne at cohsoft.com.au> wrote:

> Remember, Mark was not talking
> about the pictures. He was using the pictures to reinforce what he was
> saying. The meanings I attributed to the images were those conveyed by
> his words. *And he seemed to be saying (in part) something like "using
> facebook is as bad as being raped", or "if you use facebook you'll be
> raped".
> *

+1 to this.

Although I felt some interesting points were raised in this talk, I was
disappointed that Mark resorted to scare tactics and shock value to convey
his message. His discussion of peer impacts and how this can be manipulated
began very effectively, but the need to visually and verbally assault the
audience did nothing but deaden the impact for me.

That said, there have been some very relevant points raised regarding
censorship (which DID NOT occur, only an apology), and I feel the handling
of this matter by the LCA2011 team cannot be faulted.

Thanks for a fantastic conference in very trying circumstances guys.

Bane Macarbe
Email: bane02 at gmail.com
MSN: banemacarbe at hotmail.com
Skype: bane.macarbe